Dat Phan Online
                      The homesite and meeting place of Dat Fans everywhere

Switch to Flash Forum
Reply to topic
Read anything good lately?
Dat Phanaholic

I just got done reading The Outlandish Companion. I highly suggest that everyone at least reads a little of Outlander, ot any of the other books in the series by Diana Gabaldon. Even if you aren't interested in Scotland in the 1700's, time travel, romances, medical knowledge, (the time traveling character is a nurse/doctor) or..whatever! Her writing is just soo good! She makes you feel like you're part of the family and everything.
Just started Redwall by Brian Jacques. I think I read it in 4th grade, but it's too far back to remember, so I decided to see if I like it. So far I think the writing isn't the best, but then again was under the young adult section, and I'm spoiled by reading adult books..lol.

Anyway, post anything about books here (if you'd like of course!)

I just finished Digital Fortress by Dan Brown. (Awesome awesome author) That book has so many twists, you might need popcorn. Haha. Dan Brown also wrote The Da Vinci Code. (awesome book) I'm currently reading that one. I like books what can I say?

Really? I see a Jewish guy, a black guy, a white guy, a Asian guy, a Mexican guy, and a gay guy. All holding hands!
Dat Phreakin' Amazing!

I am reading, "The Coming Last Days Temple".

It is a very analytical fact driven book. It is very in depth about understanding the history of the ancient Jewish temple in Jerusalem. I establishes Israel's claims to Jerusalem. You will see some amazing facts about why Israel does what it does in the Middle East.

Understanding the past helps you predict what will happen in the future. One question it has answered for me was, when Israel took control of Jerusalem in 1969, why did they not destroy the Dome of the Rock and rebuild the Temple again?

If you are unfamiliar, Israel became a country once again in 1948, after being persecuted by Germany in World War 2. They were a country of about the size of Long Island. Then, the arab nations teamed together and attacks Israel, attempting to drive them out. Instead, Israel fought back, got an extensive amount of land in response.

Then in 1969, the arab nations gathered again, attempting revenge on Israel. Again, Israel won a large area of land again...about the same area that King David ruled back in the day. This time, they captured Jerusalem and were driving the arab and Palestinian armies away.

The army leader in the area was moving to take the mount where the Dome of the Rock is and was stopped by the Israeli generals, so, instead, they captured the Western Wall, also called the Wailing Wall. This wall is where Jews go to pray for the return of the Jewish temple.

If you like reading facts, then understanding the interpretaion of those facts, you will enjoy this book.

Sensei Ern
View user's profileFind all posts by senseiernSend private messageVisit poster's websiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Gina rocks!
Gina rocks!

I am currently reading two books:

Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger

and

Flowers in the Attic by VC Andrews

-Both I have already read but enjoyed enough to read again.

scottishrosefairy wrote:
Just started Redwall by Brian Jacques

I read most of these to my boys. They love the series. I do too. It's not sophisticated reading, but it is amusing and entertaining and has been time well spent with them.

Lol. I just noticed I'm with people who are over 20. Well its about time to talk to some mature people. I'm 15 y'know. I'm how you say, very mature for my age.

Really? I see a Jewish guy, a black guy, a white guy, a Asian guy, a Mexican guy, and a gay guy. All holding hands!
Dat Phreakin' Amazing!

ANother good book I recommend is, "Trashing the Planet" by Dixie Lee Ray. It addresses how people are screwing up the environment.

It discusses how we need to take action to change the hearts of people to change the way people think about the environment. It is about 10 years old so some of the data is out dated. But, it mixes factual data with humorous stories.

This is a book that would change the world if everyone read it and followed the ideas she proposes.

Sensei Ern
View user's profileFind all posts by senseiernSend private messageVisit poster's websiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Dat Fan

shakepeare's sonnets

edited by the folger library

Dat Phreakin' Amazing!

reading night by elie wiesel. yet another summer assignment.

Hieu- I'm not over 20 lol. I'm 17 this Agust 3rd woo hoo! Getting my permit FINALLY..stupid NJ..you see, you have to pay like 400 for 6 drivers lessons to get your permit at 16. But when you're 17, you apparently don't need lessons, lol.

I read Close to Shore + Jaws for my summer reading. (Close to Shore has a longer title, but I forget it!!) I didn't really like them too much. I only read them cos my mom has both, and I didn't need to buy any books or borrow any. I started them as soon as I could, because I wanted to get it over with!!

I also forgot to mention I'm reading "Shadow of the Hedgemon" by Orson Scott Card. He is an excellent writer! He wrote "Ender's game" That's considered a young adult book, for some reason, guess cos it deals with mostly kids. However, the other books in the series are interesting, too, a lot of ideas are thrown in his other books.

Redwall reminds me of LOTR in a couple of ways- Matthias is little, and so are the hobbits, who turn out to be the heros in LOTR. (or, one of the main heroes at least!) The rats remind me of orcs..lol. I guess because most fantasy is based off of LOTR, or something like that! So far Redwall is pretty cool, I'm going to try to finish it tonight.

Trashing the Planet sounds cool!

Read the Pullitzer prize winning A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. It's a masterpiece. I actually laughed out loud while reading it.

cHoPsTiX wrote:
reading night by elie wiesel. yet another summer assignment.

if there was ever a grim book that make me puke, that would be it

Delicious Monster
Delicious Monster

I just finsished a crime novel called Billy Straight by Johnathan somebody. it was good, but they left too many unanswered questions. I like knowing what happens to the characters after everything is solved.

I read stories such as Arthur, The Magic School Bus, Sesame Street learn To Count and Paddington Bear Very Happy Very Happy

But really I dont have the money to keep up with the book. A good novel is what 20-30 dollars? I have 5.45 left from eating KFC. If there's anything close to a long novel I read are textbooks. I favour history, love the wars. lol most of these textbooks are from my school and I left them at home by accident. My teachers say that each one is worth 40-50 dollars... I guess I have 750 dollars worth of history books got the whole "The Vietnam Experience" collection of anyone wants to read it.

Another good series is, "John Carter: Warlord of Mars". This is an old story written about 70-80 years ago. It is about a cowboy who hides in a cave and ends up waking up on Mars where there is a technically advanced civilization.

Another very good book is, "Animal Farm". This is about a farm where the animals rebel against the farmer because he is taking advantage of them.

The animals are pretty content because the farmer is nice to them. However, the pigs begin to complain about how the farmer is benefitting from the hard work of the animals. The animals attack the farmer, who gets his gun to shoot the attacking animals, but the animals get the gun and through cooperation start shooting at the farmer...chasing him from the farm.

The story continues with the animals listening to the pigs as they deal with issues such as food and shelter, et al. The pigs, claiming they need extras in order to think better, begin taking advantage of the other animals. They conspire to silence the animals that begin to murmur how the pigs are being unfair.

This story has two aspects to it. The one most commented on is how it shows the folly of Communism. However, onethat is often ignored is how even in Capitalistic society, if the lower class are not allowed to advance, it is itself the cause of communism.

That is the same for our society. If the people who make laws in our country remain for many years, they begin to see others as lower class. We need term limits on all political offices, to prevent a corrupt heirarchy.

If our president can only serve 2 terms, perhaps our congress should be limited to 2 terms? That would be bad for people like the late Strom Thurmond and Ted Kennedy, but it would be good for us because PACs won't be so ready to give millions to somebody who would be out of office in a couple years.

It would also get more of the common man into office...people who have to work like we do, in an everyday job. That would put some sensibility into our lawmaking.

Oh, and one more book I recommend is, "1984". Read this book, then take a look at all of the surveillance cameras around you everywhere. Plus, it would make you a lot less accepting of electronic voting. There is more I want to say on this book, but thoughts fail me...for the moment.

Delicious Monster

I have read them both, and you are right. They are a must read, as is Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Facinating, disturbing.

Can anyone recommend a favourite book that's under $10 and can be found in an everyday bookstore, no need to order online?

i think a book called Esparanza Rising is under $10 (i don't remeber, but i don't think i paid that much) i'm not sure if i spelled that right, its about a gilr named Esparanza (hope in English) who was born with a silver spoon in her mouth on a rose ranch type place, but when her father died her life was tunred upside down and she had to flee Mexico to a place in California where her and her family had to work with other immagrants,

its really good, very sad, i'm a sucker for Historical Fiction.

I just read "The Psycho Ex Game"... not exactly a prize winning book, but amusing nonetheless...I mean really who doesn't have a Psycho Ex? And who isn't a Psycho Ex to someone else??? hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

~Captain Jack Sparrow
Dat Phreakin' Amazing!

Charlie_ wrote:
Can anyone recommend a favourite book that's under $10 and can be found in an everyday bookstore, no need to order online?

Charlie, there are many used book stores around. You can get the books I suggested for around $2-5 US. That makes what, about $25 CAN?

In the US we also have Goodwill...a store designed to help the less fortunate. THe one in Annapolis, MD always has TONS of books. I got, "The Way THings Ought to Be" and, "See I told You SO" for 50 cents each.

You can also go to garage sales. They usually have tons of books for a quarter.

Once, I went to a pawn shop. The guy had just gotten a pile of books from an estate sale. He GAVE me some, but for about $5 I got 20 books. Some were signed by the author. These were really cool because they were from a lady who died at the age of 89, and many of the books were from her childhood.

On a related note, does Canada have quarters? Because if they do, I should go up there, get $500 worth of quarters, and come back here to play the quarter slots at Atlantic City. I could really make a killing.
Read anything good lately?